FileNet’s Computer Output to Laser Disk (COLD(TM)) software is an advanced application package that provides an efficient, economical solution for archiving computer-generated output such as customer statements, banking, and accounting reports, or any information traditionally converted to microfilm and microfiche, on the optical disk for permanent storage.
COLD software reads data from magnetic tape generated by a mainframe, or from a file received electronically from a mainframe or other host system. COLD software then processes the data, creating documents available for storage, retrieval, multi-user display, and manipulation with WorkFlo® software processing.
COLD software is a cost-effective, error-free document entry method because the exact information is transferred to optical disk without the need to print, scan, or re-key. And you have quick access to accurate information without having to deal with cumbersome hardcopy reports or manually retrieve microfilm or microfiche.
When integrated with FileNet’s WorkFlo Business System software and its powerful Image Management Services (IMS) software, COLD software provides inexpensive, on-line access to volumes of information, and lets you streamline your daily business operations and increase employee productivity.
COLD Instead of COM
Unlike the resource and time-consuming Computer Output to Microfiche (COM), COLD software is fast and easy. Computer output is downloaded directly using industry standard file transfer protocols such as RAE and FTP. Or, the data can be output to nine-track or IBM 3480 cartridges, then loaded into a FileNet system for COLD software processing.
Access to documents is immediate after processing. The documents are accessible by multiple users concurrently, right at their desktops. And to maximize system throughput during prime business hours, COLD software processing can run as a background task, after-hours, or on standalone systems.
COLD Software Features
Report documents can be merged with scanned background images that contain headings, titles, and other important information. These templates are stored only once, not with every associated page, saving optical disk and mainframe space while increasing system productivity.
Based on parameters defined by you, COLD software automatically indexes each document using up to 25 fields. While each report can be viewed as an individual document with its own indexing information, it is also possible for COLD software to combine reports into a single document for faster access. COLD software then generates a table of contents for the multiple report document and stores it as the first page of the document. To access the information, you need simply review the table of contents to find the page number of the individual report required.
With COLD software, report formatting is controlled by a number of operators entered parameters such as the number of characters per line, the number of lines per page, fixed or variable page documents, the location of index information, and the name of the document class. These are stored and recalled the next time the same report format is run, allowing for quick set-up of COLD software jobs and reducing the possibility of entering incorrect parameters.
Easy Integration with Document Imaging
WorkFlo scripts can be designed to retrieve COLD documents, search through the table of contents, and display, print, or fax the desired pages of a document. When COLD documents are used with image documents, your ability to more efficiently automate business processes is greatly enhanced.
With WorkFlo you can automate the retrievals of appropriate COLD and image documents to any workstation running FileNet display software or network enabled laser printer. Ad hoc queries and retrievals are also easy using FileNet’s Image Display for Windows software application. No programming is required, you just point and click to display, print, or fax.
COLD documents are stored as coded data and only need to be processed once; however, the same document can then be used simultaneously by many other applications throughout an enterprise. Just design WorkFlo scripts to extract portions of the COLD document and transfer them automatically to a form generated by File Net’s AutoForm software or to any Microsoft Windows Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)-compliant application running on your desktops, such as spreadsheets or word processing documents. To know more about click here.
Summary of Product Features
- Reports can be overlaid on background templates containing titles, headings, and other information
- Templates can be either scanned images or developed with the AutoForm System Development Kit
- Background templates only have to be stored once on optical disk for multiple uses
- Index information on computer reports can be automatically read from the report during the COLD import process
- Up to 25 index fields can be defined for each report format
Table of Contents
- Reports can be combined into a single document
- Table of contents is automatically constructed and stored as the first page of document
WorkFlo Access to COLD Documents
- WorkFlo can be used to retrieve documents, search through a table of contents, and display print, or fax pages of a document
- WorkFlo can extract and transfer portions of a COLD document to other applications using inter-window transfer protocols such as DDE
Page and Line Filters
- Filtering parameters can be defined on selected pages or lines of a document to allow custom reports to be generated and stored on a FileNet system
Variety of host Interfaces
- Data can be downloaded directly from the host to a FileNet system using industry standard file transfer protocols
- IBM SNA/RIE 3770
- Tape transfer is also supported using nine track tape or IBM 3480-compatible tape cartridges
- Report formatting is controlled by operator entered set-up parameters including:
- number of characters per line
- number of lines per page
- fixed or variable length documents
- location of index information
- name of the document class
- Parameters can be stored and recalled